Southwest Florida golf courses rank among the best in the nation. The world-class golf facilities across the region are sure to please all kinds of golfers with all kinds of preferences and skill levels. Is teeing off in our part the Sunshine State on your bucket list? Let’s go over some of the details you’ll need to know before you plan your next golf outing.
Southwest Florida golf courses truly offer something for everyone. In fact, the region has more holes per capita than anywhere else in the country. You’ll find public golf courses, semi-private golf courses, and private country clubs to play at in Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, and beyond.
How Many Golf Courses are in Southwest Florida?
We’ve counted more than 150 golf courses in Southwest Florida. This number is on the rise as new communities and courses are being built constantly across the region.
Is Southwest Florida a golfer’s paradise? It just may be. There are more than 2,700 golf holes to play in the region. Lush, meticulously manicured greens with fountains, island greens, and hammocks of shady trees make these holes some of the best to play across the country.
What’s the Difference Between a Public and Private Golf Course?
The 150-plus golf courses across Southwest Florida include both public and private golf courses. What’s the difference between a public and private golf course?
Public golf courses are open to all players, regardless of membership status. These courses are affordable and great places for beginners to get into the game. You’ll find many public golf courses in Southwest Florida. A public course often has ample tee times, so they can be great places to play if you’re planning a mini-vacation in Florida.
Semi-private golf courses offer a hybrid option between a public course and a private club. These courses are open to the public but offer membership packages that come with a few perks. Perks of joining a semi-private golf course often include priority tee times and reduced green fees. Many of the golf clubs in Southwest Florida are semi-private, making them a great place to play when you’re visiting the region on vacation or as a snowbird.
Private golf courses only offer play to members and approved guests. Joining a private golf club can be pricey, but comes with lots of privileges. Manicured greens, prestige, and other benefits make the expense worth it to many serious golfers. You’ll find private golf courses at country clubs across Southwest Florida.
Now that you know a little more about the types of Southwest Florida golf courses, let’s look at a few of the best courses in the area.
What Part of Southwest Florida Has the Best Golf Courses?
There are beautiful golf courses all over our corner of Florida. But what part of Southwest Florida has the best golf courses?
You might find the region’s best golf at a famous course in Estero, located just off Imakolee Road. According to Golf Digest, Calusa Pines Golf Club in Estero is the second-best golf course to play in Florida and the 74th best course to play across the entire country.
What makes this golf here great? The course developer sought to make this course rank among the most unique in the country by carving out beautiful ponds and ridgelines and adding mature palms and oaks to the landscape. His efforts paid off and the Calusa Pines Golf Club is now known for having one of the firmest, fastest fairways in both Florida and the country.
Estero isn’t the only place you’ll find great golf in Southwest Florida. Other golf courses to enjoy include:
- Tiburon Golf Club: This club in Naples is home to two 18-hole courses designed by Greg Norman. Even the pros love to play here, as Tiburon Golf Club is home to events like PGA TOUR’s QBE Shootout and LPGA Tour’s CME Group Tour Championship.
- Treviso Bay Golf Course: Also located in Naples, this is a private course that permits outside play, which means you can snag a tee time here even if you’re just visiting the region on a buddies’ trip. At 7,367 yards, Treviso Bay is a great place for a strong player to show off their skills.
- Bonita Bay Club: Bonita Bay Club, located in Bonita Springs, is home to one of the most exclusive Southwest Florida golf courses. This members-only club is known for great golf facilities and great staff.
- Cape Royal Golf Club: Golfers of any skill level are welcome at Cape Royal Golf Club, a semi-private club located in Cape Coral. This is a semi-private club with an easy-to-use online reservation system.
- Sanibel Island Golf Club: There’s nothing like hitting the links on island time. This golf course is one of three on Sanibel Island and offers picturesque views of Sanibel’s natural splendor. While you’re on the island, dine at the club’s restaurant or check out one of the best dinner restaurants on Sanibel Island.
- Eastwood Golf Course and Fort Myers Country Club: Looking for a great round of golf that won’t break the bank? Consider playing at these two public golf clubs in Fort Myers. Golfers of all skill levels are welcome. Additionally, you’ll find leagues, charity events, business events, and more at these inclusive Southwest Florida golf courses.
Looking for more places to play golf around the region? Learn more with our guide to Best Golf Courses in Naples, Florida.
Now that you know where to play golf in Southwest Florida, let’s look at a few other things to know before you plan on hitting the links here.
Are Florida Golf Courses Open Year Round?
Florida is known for mild winters and steamy summers. This means there are opportunities to play golf year-round in the Sunshine State, as golf courses are open during every season.
What is Golf Season in Florida?
Florida’s golf season generally lasts from October to May. This is when the weather is mild and the ground is firm, making it easy to enjoy your time on the greens.
While most people prefer to play golf in Florida between Fall and Spring, you’ll find great golf here all year round. You’ll find course fees are often reduced during the summer months. You’ll just need to watch the forecast to avoid rain, as afternoon showers are common in Southwest Florida.
How Do you Plan a Golf Trip?
No matter whether you are planning a trip with the boys or a honeymoon trip with your golf-loving new spouse, there’s a lot to consider when planning a golf trip.
Here are a few steps you might consider taking if planning a Southwest Florida golf trip.
Book Your Vacation Rental
Royal Shell offers the vacation rental you’ll need to enjoy your golf trip. From homes and condos right on the course to beach-front rentals, you’ll find what you need to make the most of your trip in our expansive inventory.
Choose Your Course
With more than 150 courses in Southwest Florida, you can take your pick of places to play. If you’re just visiting the area, you might plan on teeing off at the region’s public and semi-private golf courses.
You can book a tee time several months in advance at most courses, so call ahead to ensure you get the time that works best for your schedule.
Find a Flight
It’s easy to get to Southwest Florida. Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) has daily inbound flights from destinations all around the country and all around the world. Learn more about flights to RSW and fly into the region with ease.
Are you planning your golf trip around a holiday There are a few other considerations to keep in mind if you’re coming for a big day — especially if you’re booking last minute. Learn more about booking a last-minute holiday getaway.
Wondering what to bring on a golf getaway? Of course, you’ll need your clubs. Many airlines make it easy to travel with golf clubs by checking them with your luggage. Other things to consider include:
- Golf shoes
- Extra balls and tees
- Weather-appropriate clothing, like a moisture-wicking polo if you’re playing during the summer months or an athletic sweater if coming during cooler months
- Casual clothes for downtime, as well as smart casual clothes for dinners out
Plan a Southwest Florida Golf Escape with Royal Shell
Southwest Florida golf courses offer some of the best play in the country. With more than 150 courses across the region, there is truly an opportunity for golfers of all interests and skill levels to enjoy their time on the greens.
Royal Shell offers the perfect vacation rentals and vacation planning services you’ll need to truly enjoy your time in Southwest Florida. As regional specialists, we know all the best places to tee off, enjoy a meal, hit the beach, and much more. Royal Shell even offers Flexcation options that let you book your vacation rental with peace of mind.
Ready to learn more? Reach out to a friendly agent now by calling Royal Shell at 866-341-7799 or contacting us online.