Spring training in Florida is an experience for the most avid baseball fans and for novice baseball fans seeking to soak up some Florida sun in a new environment. Watching a Major League Baseball team play ball as they prepare their roster before Opening Day is relaxing, scenic, fun and idyllic in a vacation setting that’s unlike any other. We have the Boston Red Sox Fort Myers spring training tips and answer the questions you crave answers to. Sit back, relax, and get ready to have the best Fort Myers spring training vacation experience in Southwest Florida.
After a Boston Red Sox World Series victory, Red Sox Fort Myers spring training season is the most wonderful time of the year. Why? Let us count the ways:
- Florida sunshine
- Hope springs eternal while you watch Red Sox players compete with a new record and fresh start.
- A new baseball stadium is known as JetBlue Park or more affectionately, Fenway South.
- Baseball in Florida.
- Did we mention Florida sunshine?
Where is Red Sox Spring Training?
Where is the Boston Red Sox spring training camp? That’s your first research question and it couldn’t be in a more beautiful place. Welcome to Fort Myers, Florida!
Where Do the Red Sox Stay in Fort Myers?
Officially, the Boston Red Sox spring training home is at JetBlue Park at Fenway South. Located at 11500 Fenway South Drive Fort Myers, FL 33913, it’s close to Fort Myers International Airport.
With seating for 11,000 fans, one of the newest spring training facilities can accommodate diehard Red Sox fans from up north and also accommodates other events in Southwest Florida throughout the year. JetBlue Park offers:
- Six practice fields
- Adjoining offices for Major League Baseball personnel, rehabilitation and Minor League Baseball operations
- Festivals, fundraisers and events
When Did JetBlue Park Open?
The former Red Sox spring training site was located at the City of Palms Park. But the new $77.8 million JetBlue Park at Fenway South opened on March 3, 2012, to usher in a new era of Boston Red Sox spring training baseball.
Does JetBlue Park at Fenway South have a Green Monster?
The rumors are not rumors. JetBlue Park at Fenway South has replicas of some of the most iconic pieces of Boston’s Fenway Park, including:
- A Green Monster wall in a left field similar to the iconic Green Monster Wall in Boston
- A manual scoreboard
How Tall is the Green Monster at JetBlue Park?
The Green Monster at JetBlue Park is 37-feet, 2-inches high along the left-field wall.
JetBlue Park also has new options for New Englanders and other visitors to enjoy Florida. These include:
- Seashells within the ballpark’s brick walls
- A white roof that mimics the treeline of a cypress grove
- All the sunshine and palm trees that come with a great Florida experience
You can see everything JetBlue Park has to offer by taking a park tour. Call 239.226.4783 to schedule a tour today. Tour pricing costs $10 for adults and is free for children 12 and under.
How Long is Red Sox Spring Training?
So you must be wondering how long do the Red Sox stays in Fort Myers? And when does Red Sox spring training start? Players arrive in early February to begin practicing, with pitchers and catchers arriving first. Red Sox spring training starts in February and ends at the end of March before the final roster heads north to start the Major League Baseball regular season in April.
When Does the Red Sox Truck Leave for Spring Training?
The Red Sox equipment truck being packed in the wintry Northeast is the most beautiful sight for Red Sox fans looking to head south for warmth and watch their team prepare for another year and hopefully another World Series title. The Red Sox equipment truck typically leaves in early February and arrives no later than Feb. 11.
When Do Red Sox Pitchers and Catchers Report?
The true sign of spring training in Florida cities is when Major League Baseball pitchers and catchers report in early to mid-February. Red Sox equipment trucks head for South Florida in February with equipment the players will need. The date changes every year, but when they arrive spring training is here. Those who like to get an early jump on spring training to watch pitchers and catchers practice before the games have opportunities if you check the schedules closely.
Can You Watch Red Sox Spring Training Practices?
Workouts are always free and open to fans. When pitchers and catchers report, practices start right away. Enjoy daily practices at the practice fields.
What is the Grapefruit League?
The Grapefruit League is one of two spring training leagues for Major League Baseball. The teams that train in Florida play exhibition games in the Grapefruit League. Teams with spring training games in Arizona play in the Cactus League.
What Teams Play in the Grapefruit League?
Grapefruit League Teams include the following with Florida home bases:
- Atlanta Braves: Champion Stadium in Lake Buena Vista
- Baltimore Orioles: Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota
- Detroit Tigers: Publix Field in Lakeland
- Houston Astros: The Ballpark in West Palm Beach
- Miami Marlins: Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter
- Minnesota Twins: Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers
- New York Mets: Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie
- New York Yankees: Steinbrenner Field in Tampa
- Philadelphia Phillies: Spectrum Field in Clearwater
- Pittsburgh Pirates: LECOM Park (formerly McKechnie Field) in Bradenton
- St. Louis Cardinals: Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter
- Tampa Bay Rays: Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte
- Toronto Blue Jays: Florida Auto Exchange Stadium in Dunedin
- Washington Nationals: The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach
When Will Red Sox Spring Training Tickets Go On Sale?
Red Sox spring training tickets at JetBlue Park typically go on sale in late November or early December for the upcoming season. You can purchase tickets online. Utilize the JetBlue Park seat map to find out where you want to be.
Review the Red Sox spring training schedule to pick your games.
Are the Red Sox Allowing Fans?
Yes. While there will be fans in 2022, there are very limited Boston Red Sox 2022 spring training tickets available. Why? Limited capacity to promote social distancing is being mandated at JetBlue Park and other Florida and Arizona ballparks this year during spring training. JetBlue Park will be operating at just 24% of its capacity level for all of its spring training schedules in 2022., with pods of tickets already selling out.
What are the Red Sox JetBlue Health and Safety Measures in 2022?
- Masks are mandatory for JetBlue ticket holders in 2022.
- No bags will be allowed upon entry except for medical purposes
- Contactless payment options at concessions
- No food and beverage allowed in the seating bowl
- Digital tickets are used to decrease contact
- Pre-purchase parking options are available
- Reduced contact measures are in place
- Cleaning, disinfecting and sanitization protocols are in effect
- Daily cleaning and frequent wipe downs of high traffic areas
- Use of FDA-certified cleaning products
- Frequent restroom cleaning
- Sanitizing stations throughout the park
- Social distancing pods will be six feet from one another
- Line management for tickets and concessions will be enforced
- No autographs are permitted
- Buffer zones around dugouts and bullpens
- Medical teams on-site to assist with any Covid-19 symptoms
Red Sox Spring Training: Tips on What to Do
To maximize your Boston Red Sox spring training experience, follow these tips:
- The gates open two hours before the first pitch, so get there early to enjoy practice and get those autographs.
- Outside food and beverages are not allowed inside.
- No smoking or vaping is allowed.
- All bags and personal items are searched on your way into the park.
- There is a parking fee.
- Be polite and ask for autographs during breaks in practice.
Hotels Near Red Sox Spring Training Fort Myers Facility
Let’s first start off by answering a question you already know the answer to deep down inside. Hotels near the Red Sox spring training facility fill up fast.
Red Sox Spring Training on TV
If you can’t make it to the ballpark for a spring training game in Southwest Florida, you can catch some of the games on television, including the MLB Network. ESPN also airs live broadcasts of spring training baseball games.
Red Sox Spring Training Games on Radio
What radio station is the Red Sox game on today? Spring training games can still be found on your tried and true Boston radio stations. For diehard Boston fans, these stations are known as WEEI on FM 93 or AM 850 frequencies. It’s easy to find online providers that broadcast these channels no matter where you live!
What Other Teams Can I See in Southwest Florida?
Are you a Major League Baseball junkie? There are other teams and ballparks to enjoy in Southwest Florida besides your beloved Red Sox. You have the following ballpark options within a 2-hour drive:
The Minnesota Twins are Fort Myers staples at the CenturyLink Sports Complex in Fort Myers. Their baseball complex contains the main ballpark, five additional playing fields and the Twins Player Development Academy. View the Minnesota Twins spring training schedule to plan your road trip.
Tampa Bay Rays
Enjoy the best of both worlds and catch a Red Sox vs. Rays game in Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte.
Head a bit farther north on I-75 and stop in sunny Sarasota to watch the Baltimore Orioles take on other Grapefruit League teams at Ed Smith Stadium.
A spring training road trip in Southwest Florida isn’t complete without a stop in Bradenton at LECOM Park, formerly known as McKechnie Field. The Pirates have been a staple in the community for more than six decades. The park is one of the most unique with its quaint old-time ballpark feel.
Book Your Baseball Spring Training Vacation Today
Did you know that Royal Shell is the official real estate company of Red Sox Spring Training? We can help you plan the perfect family spring break vacation in Florida and even plan a trip for the popular Roy Hobbs Baseball World Series.
One of the most important parts of your spring training trip is finding a place to stay during the busy spring training season in Fort Myers. Royal Shell vacation rentals have you covered and can find exactly what you’re looking for. Find the perfect Fort Myers vacation rental that you and your spring training fans can come back to year after year to enjoy a lifetime of Florida spring training memories!